REPLACEMENT BRIDGE UPDATES
UPCOMING BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITY
SOUTH SIDE OF THE NEW BRIDGE
- 7/21/23: Spans 22-26 PC Panel erection and tie-in deck construction started and continues.
- 7/25/22: Deck construction started with shear key and diaphragm construction and continues with setting precast panels in Spans 15-21. Setting overhangs began after Labor Day.
- 7/12/22 – 8/19/22: Span 15 through Span 21 girders set at Spans 26 through 24.
- 5/1/22: Spans 15-16 deck placement.
- 4/26/22: Pile driving on South side Bents 22-25 started with Bent 24.
- 3/4/22: Spans 17-19 Deck placed.
- 2/25/22: 1st Deck placement. Spans 20-21 completed.
NORTH SIDE OF THE NEW BRIDGE
- 8/7/23: Substructure construction started with Bent 5.
- 7/24/23: Pile driving for Bents 5-1 started and continues.
- 1/9/23: Deck construction started.
- 4/10/23: Spans 8-9 placed.
- 3/30/23: First deck pour (Spans 6-7) completed.
- 9/19/22 through 11/4/22: Spans 11-6 girders set, followed by precast panel installation. Diaphragm and shear key construction continues.
WORK IN THE GIWW
- 5/15/23: Decking started. First Main Span deck placement completed 6/28/23 and last Main Span deck placement completed 8/2/23. Barrier rail construction on going.
- 2/24/23: 1st pair of structural steel girders erected. Last pair erected 4/19/23. Installation of diaphragms and final bolt up continuing.
- 11/22/22: Removing cofferdam sheets finished. Template was removed 11/28/22. Column construction started 11/28/22. P2 Columns placed 12/7/22. P2 Cap placed 1/6/23. Placing P2 risers 1/26/23.
ALGIERS OUTFALL CANAL BRIDGE
- 4/25/23: Wick drains for the North MSE walls were completed and MSE wall installation followed.
- 4/13/2023: Traffic shift to Phase 1C occurred. Excavation, subbase and base work is ongoing for Phase 1C east of LA 23.
- 5/1/23: East barrier placed. Crack repairs and punch list ongoing.
- 4/4/23: Phase 1B pavement began and continues as LA 23 Spur Track is removed. Paving after Spur Track removal.
- 3/20/23: Deck placements started.
- 6/9/22: Cap construction began on the south side and has moved to the north side. Decks have been completed. Approach work and barriers finished up in November.
LA 23 ROADWAY NORTH OF THE GIWW & ENGINEERS ROAD
- Upcoming Phase 1C Mod 2 lane shift on LA23 north bound upcoming – dependent on utility relocation work completion.
- 7/28/23: Phase 1D minor shifting of LA23 SB Lanes (4’-5’) between Engineers Rd and Tunnel completed.
- 7/27/23: NE MSE Wall Phase B finished.
- 7/15/23: LA23 X Street crossing closure.
- 7/12/23: Start Up of Burmaster/LA23 Intersection Traffic Signals, opening of Burmaster Bulbout & closure of left turn onto Eningeers Rd from LA23 northbound.
- 7/7/23: LA23 NB 1C Mod 2 traffic lane switch.
- 6/20/23: NE MSE Wall Phase B started. Drainage and driveway work continued through August.
- 4/26/23: MSE wall installation started.
- 4/25/23: north MSE wall excavation and wick drains for the North MSE walls were completed.
- 4/14/23: North MSE walls started.
- 4/13/23: Phase 1C traffic shift occurred.
- 3/15/23: Northbound Phase 1D traffic switch occurred.
- 1/20/23: Phase 1B drainage and roadwork in the median started.
- 1/11/23: Phase 1A paving started.
- 10/10/22: Phase 1A drainage construction completed, and roadway work started.
- 8/10/22: Traffic shift for LA 23 southbound lanes completed.
LA 23 ROADWAY SOUTH OF THE GIWW
- 3/20/23: Excavation and construction of South MSE Walls started.12/19/22: Excavation and base work for detour road paving started.
- 3/1/23: Phase 1D southbound traffic switch on the south side of the bridge occurred.
- 2/27/23: Asphalt paving complete.
- 8/18/23: Bowen St. Water line relocation complete, prepping for one way traffic and cul-de-sac construction in September 2023.
- 8/14/23: Engineers Rd closure and detour for drainage crossing completed.
- 2/8/23: Railroad St reopened.
- 1/18/23: Railroad St asphalt paving completed. Striping, signing and reopening the road followed Railroad Street extension construction has completed curb & gutter and base installation complete.
TUNNEL DECOMMISSIONING (CLOSING)COMING IN SEPTEMBER 2023
- 5/20/23: Bike and pedestrian access through the tunnel closed.
- 4/19/23: Preliminary information signs for the closure to pedestrians and cyclists were installed.
- August – September 2023: Entergy south side permanent relocation boring scheduled.
- 2/28/23 – 4/25/23: Entergy south side temporary relocations progressed along the east side on LA 23.
- 5/10/23: PPG water line relocation from P Street to Dr Bowen Street and Barriere Rd completed.
- 9/26/22: Atmos completed relocations on north side and finished relocations on south side
- Entergy, AT&T, and Cox relocations continue along LA 23 and on local cross streets and adjacent streets throughout the project.
CURRENT BRIDGE/TUNNEL OPERATIONS UPDATES
Design input on bridge and park
Lane closures, construction
Open new bridge
Relocate Veterans Park
Take down old bridge