REPLACEMENT BRIDGE UPDATES
Post Hurricane Ida Update
- The Belle Chasse Bridge is back to 24/7 operation, which resumed on Monday, September 6, 2021.
- Limited construction activities began on September 8, 2021 with additional work to resume as more power is restored, additional workers return, and Plaquemines Parish and southern Louisiana open back up to normal activity.
Upcoming Bridge Construction Activity
- South side of the New Bridge: Construction work continues with sheet pile installation, pile driving and the start of concrete operations.
- North side of the New Bridge: Concrete substructure is starting.
- Work in the GIWW: Excavation continues at the Main Piers.
April 12, 2021 – GROUNDBREAKING – Belle Chasse Bridge & Tunnel Replacement Project – CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
April 1, 2021 – Short-term Closure on Northbound Left Lane of LA23 Judge Perez Bridge – CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
March 1, 2021 – Preconstruction Efforts Initiated on Belle Chasse Bridge and Tunnel Replacement Project – CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
Current Bridge/Tunnel Operations Updates
Sand, silt and debris is excavated from drainage channels and bagged for disposal
Pavement markings and walls tunnel cleaning
TUNNEL CLEANING OVERVIEW
2021 Scheduled Dates
Tunnel cleanings are normally scheduled on the first Wednesday of each month. At that time, the southbound lanes of LA 23 through the Belle Chasse Tunnel are closed from 7 p.m. on Wednesday until Thursday morning at 5 a.m. The closure is necessary to allow crews to clean the tunnel. All work is weather permitting. As an alternate route, motorists can take the Judge Perez Bridge (LA 23) in either direction.
- January 6, 2021
- February 3, 2021
- February 26, 2021
- April 7, 2021
- May 5, 2021
- June 2, 2021
- July 7, 2021
- August 4, 2021
- September 29, 2021
- October 27, 2021
- November 24, 2021
- December 29, 2021
TUNNEL INSPECTION OVERVIEW
2021 Scheduled Dates
The Federal Government requires tunnel inspections to be conducted every two years. Closure of the tunnel is necessary to allow crews to perform the inspection. All work is weather permitting. As an alternate route, motorists can take the Judge Perez Bridge (LA 23) in either direction.
The inspections take place from 6:30a.m. until 5:30p.m. on the following dates:
- February 27, 2021
- February 28, 2021